Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Gift of Spontaneity

This is Jessica. I have had the pleasure of knowing Jess for about eight years. Jess is a wife and super-mom of four really neat kids. When she isn't on the go doing stuff for her kids and friends, she works as a nurse. She is also a devoted aunt to her niece, Kamelah, who is in the midst of winning her battle against leukemia. This is a busy woman that knows on a very personal level our fears and challenges.

Jess was one of the first to offer help in the midst of our crisis. Despite having four kids of her own, she has willingly taken on our four at any time we need her...and makes it look easy. Jess keeps me sane during the week by making me coffee and giving me a place that I can vent, fall apart, and hear some words from someone that understands. She has a brilliant wit, a heart of gold, and a spontaneous spirit.

It was the spontaneous spirit that put her on my porch at 8:30 this morning. Surprise! She brought her espresso machine, a dozen doughnuts, her kids, and....a rack of barbecue ribs for Marc from McGraw's (ribs are the only food that has consistently sounded good to him during his treatment). We had a lovely breakfast party -- the kids played and we had a great time visiting. What a treat! Thank you, my friend!

Jess has the amazing gift of spontaneity. She is able to drop anything at any time to help a friend in need. She is also great fun -- her ability to prioritize and not sweat the small stuff allows her to embrace the fun opportunities. She is an inspiration to me. I tend to be more rigid and she has helped me recognize the costs and pitfalls of too much structure. She gets me out of my Rainman mentality! She is a dear friend and a wonderful example to me.
Thank you, Jess, for all you have done and continue to do for me, for Marc, and for the kids. Your friendship has kept me grounded during the uncertain times. I am so grateful to you. Thank you for going to all the work to get your family here this morning just to surprise us and make us laugh. You gave us cause to forget our troubles and face the day with a smile.

With love and gratitude....

1 comment:

  1. You guys are truly blessed to have such an awesome and true friend. :)

    ReplyDelete