Friday, March 20, 2009

The Day the County Came to Pray

I hit the door late yesterday and I was scrambling the minute I walked in. The kids went in a million different loud directions and I was trying to unload the car and figure out dinner. As I hurried upstairs to check on Marc I heard a car in the driveway. Annoyed, I looked out the window and saw a Clackamas County truck parked out front. There was a loud bang on the door and I scrambled downstairs to answer it before it woke Marc. The gentleman outside must have been startled by my harried and very annoyed appearance because he took two steps back. "I'm here to do your final electrical inspection," he announced. Of course. "For what !?!" I demanded. My eyebrows must have knitted furiously because he looked afraid. Apparently when we had the house repairs done for the house fire (crisis of 2007) the electrician hadn't called in for a final inspection. The county has been trying to catch up on old files and it was our turn. Of course. It had to be this week. Why not?

So, I let the man in and he quickly checked the outlet and casually asked why this was such a bad time. I gave him a curt.."my husband has cancer and he started chemo this week" explanation. I also gave him the please-don't-ask-me-anymore-questions look. He didn't pick up on that and asked several more prying questions. Finally, he went to the garage, checked the breaker box and, to my great relief, gave me my approved inspection sheet and headed for the door. Suddenly he stopped and asked. "Could I pray for you?" I about fell over and nodded. He proceeded to pray for Marc, for me, for our family, doctors, friends, and home. I was without words. I finally managed to tell him he had been a blessing that day and then he was gone. Of course. It had to be this week. Why not?

God continues to provide us with nudges of comfort these days and it comes at the perfect times in the most creative ways. I was ashamed that I hadn't been more gracious to our county inspector. God had sent him to my door that day to remind us that even in the least obvious people and places, he has us covered. We are surrounded near and far with people who genuinely care. We have people praying for us from Peru, to Germany, to the Clackamas County Permit Office. We are in awe of His provision in our lives.

Yesterday Marc took himself to the clinic to have his pump unhooked and then went to lunch with a friend. My tendency is to want to take him to all of his appointments and be helpful, but I'm learning to let him be the boss of his own care. I have to trust that he knows when he is feeling well enough to do things on his own. Helicoptor wife needs to stay parked at home once in awhile and not hover around hubby like an invalid. Lessons to learn...

Today we went to see his oncologist. This has been a harder day for Marc. The great appetite he had is gone and the nausea is setting in. The pain is staying away and he continues to look better, but feeling sick all the time is discouraging. Dr. Chang was seeing the positive change in his appearance as well and was happy to see color back in his face. He gave Marc some anti-nausea pills, which do appear to be helping this afternoon. We discussed the sudden change in his pain level and he was dubious that the cancer would respond so fast. In his opinion he thought it was more a reaction to pain killers, steroids, and the continued healing from his biopsy. I was somewhat deflated. I wanted him to tell us that was a good sign and that we should be encouraged. We talked a little more and then he examined Marc's abdomen. He felt around the tumor area and gave us a surprised look. He said, "you know, it actually feels better than it did." He seemed a bit perplexed by that and hurriedly wrote some notes. I don't know, but I'm thinking that's good.

We don't have any appointments until the 31st. He has chemo again that day. We have some things to pray for in the meantime...

Please pray that:
  • Marc's nausea will decrease and he can resume eating a healthy diet.
  • The pain stays away and that the cancer is, indeed, responding to treatment.
  • His energy level improves. He is really fatigued.
  • On a home front note....Whatever is wrong with our water pump is an easy fix. We are having problems with it and just don't have the mental energy right now to deal with fixing it. Unfortunately, not having water is not an option. Ahhh...the tyranny of the urgent....

Thank you for all the comments and emails. If posting comments is not working on your computer, do not hesitate to email us. We are still checking and responding to emails, but sometimes it takes a couple of days.

With much love and gratitude....

3 comments:

  1. It is good to be reminded that when you are so focused on facing all of the distractions and annoyances in front of you..Jesus is standing behind you tapping you on the shoulder saying look at me, focus on me, I am here and will carry you through this.
    Blessings & Prayers from a County man...WOW, is God big or what? :-)
    Isaiah 46:4

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool guy. And from the county! How refreshing... God Bless him...

    Don't feel deflated. I think Docs at times air on the side of caution with what they say. Sounds like this Doc is good. Seems the type that wants to be sure of what he tells you. But judging by his reaction when he felt the tumor area, I would say something good is happening! Keep trusting in the Lord.

    Jeremiah 17:7-8
    “But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this story! WOW, Amazing! Such a great reminder that God can use anyone (even county inspectors) to remind us of how much He loves us and that He is always there for us. And even though we all know this, I think sometimes we just need it to hit us on a deeper level. Thank you so much for sharing this story.
    You continue to be in our prayers.
    Jenn Schweitzer

    ReplyDelete