Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Gift of Diligence


This is Dave and Karen. If it hadn't been for Dave I would not have met Marc. Dave was my Sunday school teacher all those years ago when I met Marc. It was through his group that we met each other and many of the friends that have been so supportive during this time.

Dave is probably one of the most diligent people I have ever met. He is conscientious and hard working at everything he does. And I'm not just talking about work....I'm talking about his relationships -- those with God, his family, and his friends. He takes his relationships very seriously and works incredibly hard at making them work. He studies, he thinks, and he puts in tremendous time and energy into serving.

When he married Karen several years ago, he found someone just as diligent and committed as himself. Marc and I have been so delighted to see how Dave and Karen have blessed each other and how well they work together as a couple. We have benefited immensely from their marriage and their friendship.

At any time we have experienced hard times, Dave and Karen are there. Dave has been present at the hospital and the chemo clinic, distracting both Marc and me. As we have had physical needs, he has been delighted to help -- my lawn mower is running again! Dave is also great at just hanging out, arguing politics, discussing theology, and asking questions. We have learned a lot from his knowledge and experience.

In the same way Karen is consistently present, helping with meals, encouraging me with truth, watching my kids. She is sensitive and compassionate, always considering others before herself. She also has some helpful life experiences that help her identify with what we are going through right now. I have found it sobering and yet encouraging to know that our struggles aren't all that unique -- many of our friends and loved ones have stories of sorrow and hope to share. We aren't alone.

Thank you, Dave and Karen, for diligently pursuing our friendship. We are grateful for all the effort and energy you put into helping us and being present in our hour of need!

With love and gratitude...

No comments:

Post a Comment