Monday, June 1, 2009

The Gift of....Gifts

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

James 1:17


Marc and I were blessed last year to begin supporting a dear couple that is heading to Germany with Campus Crusade for Christ. John and Shelly will be working with Crescendo Arts, reaching Europe through the arts. We were excited about supporting John and Shelly for a lot of reasons, but what appealed to me personally is the gifts that these two individuals are using to serve others. Shelly will be serving through her art. John will be using his business skills. Two of my favorite things!

We have been amazed at their patience and trust in God while they have chipped away at raising support. More than a year has gone by and they are three quarters of the way there. While I know they have been eager to get going, I have been grateful to the Lord for their delay. When Marc was being diagnosed we were comforted by this couple as they would send us texts, asking how they could pray for us. They have faithfully prayed for us over the months -- on one occasion Shelly caught me in the foyer of church and just hugged me and prayed while I cried on her shoulder. I was so humbled. When Marc was in the hospital, they both arrived at my house with a delicious meal for me and the kids. They have consistently offered their prayers and support.

A couple of weeks ago Shelly called me and wanted to bring something by. She was vague, but I could tell by the smile in her voice that it was something special. She arrived with the most beautiful canvas art she had created. On the canvas she had placed painted silhouettes of birds -- one for each day of Marc's treatment. She had found many references to birds in the Bible and had focused on how God has used them to illustrate his love for us. She left Marc with more silhouette cut-outs so that he could continue the project until his treatment is over. As he finishes each round he spends time pasting the birds, counting down the days until his treatments are complete and reflecting on how blessed we truly are.

I am grateful for the spiritual gifts that each of our loved ones has brought to our time of need. Each one is so special. I am grateful for John and Shelly. This was a friendship that started out with a gift -- a pledge of support for their mission. It has resulted in a sweet gift of friendship. And, then there is the tangible gift that our dear friend labored over that reminds us daily that His eye is on us and His hand comforts us. Thank you, John and Shelly, for blessing us during this interim time in your lives. You are anxious to begin your mission work, but I would argue that you are serving beautifully here in a very meaningful way!
To learn more about John and Shelly, you can find them here: www.give.ccci.org/give/0603984

Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?

Matthew 6: 25-27

With love and gratitude....

1 comment:

  1. Well said as always, Jane. I too think they serve in wonderful ways here during their transition. Way to go, John and Shelly!! God is using you in many ways.

    ReplyDelete