Monday, April 27, 2009

Uncle!

"Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!"


Satan's conversation with God, regarding Job
Job 1: 9-11

I'm feeling a bit Job-esque this week. My hedge seems to have been compromised and I'm being lambasted left and right by sorrows and frustration. I feel like the kid on the playground having my arm twisted by the bully. "Uncle! I cry uncle!" Just when I don't think I can take much more, then a new load of misery follows.

Cancer is no walk in the park. These past few weeks have had us on our knees. We have seen God at work in Marc's illness, though, and we know his cancer serves a greater purpose. We believe that and cling to it. It doesn't make it less difficult. As each treatment and test approaches we are anxious. It's hard being at the start of a story like this without knowing how it will end. We just have to wait. But, while we have been waiting more tests of our character have taken place. Our lives have become like one of those info-mercials... Wait! There is more!


We could really use your prayer in the coming weeks. Here are some of the highlights...

1. Marc's next round of chemo is tomorrow. Please pray that:
  • The cancer will continue to respond

  • He doesn't suffer the nausea and vomiting like the last go round

  • The pain is minimal

  • His fatigue is minimal

  • We can schedule the next PT scan and that the results of the scan are encouraging

2. My grandmother is losing her life to cancer. Please pray that:

  • Her pain can be controlled

  • My parents and great aunt can continue to have the emotional and physical strength to care for her 24/7

  • That we all have peace about her passing

3. My brother is returning home on leave from his training in the army. Please pray that:

  • We are able to enjoy this week with family -- amidst chemo and serving Grandma
  • We have peace about his deployment to Iraq

  • He has safety while he is deployed

4. We found out this week that we have legal meetings regarding our house fire (drama 2007) in the next three weeks. (Our insurance company is trying to recoup the damages from the contractor that did the work. We have to testify). Please pray that:

  • We have no scheduling conflicts with Marc's chemo

  • That everyone will be truthful and that those making judgements are fair and honest.
  • That they can settle out of court.

Add to all these concerns the usual dose of daily challenges, and we wonder how we are able to function on a daily basis. Oddly enough, we seem to still be hanging in there. We find ourselves not panicking too much about the various trials in our lives. We have realized that there isn't much we can control or fix. We can only do our part. I will say this, though. Marc and I have been complimented for how "strong" we have been during this crisis. I want to clarify something....we aren't strong. Any strength, any grace, any courage, that we have is a direct gift from God. We ran out of strength a long time ago. We have heard many times from well meaning folks that God never gives us more than we can handle. I don't know that that is altogether true. I believe this is the verse that most people refer to:

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

I think God is allowing us to be tested right now, knowing that there is no way that I or Marc can handle these burdens on our own. He's given us more than enough to cope, though. He gave us Himself. I can bear it because he is bearing it for me. His shoulders are broad and His hands caring! I can go to bed at night and rest, and then have the courage to get out of bed in the morning...simply because I'm not doing it alone.

I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:12-13

So, if you are seeing us as some sort of beacons of strength....Don't! You are seeing God at work when we appear strong. For when we are weak, His strength abounds. So, that brings us back to poor Job. I'm liking that guy more and more. Despite all he went through, he never did curse God. Amazing. I want to be like him. It would be tempting to blame God for all that has transpired in the past few weeks, but I know that would be wrong and totally mis-directed. He is letting me learn from this and it does hurt; however, he hasn't forsaken us and we know that somehow, in some way, God will see us through.

Lastly, we know many of you are struggling with your own trials and frustrations right now. You may have more than you can bear, but I pray that you find courage and strength from God. He is faithful. He can be trusted. He is more than able....

Thank you for your prayers and for meeting me here. We are grateful to all of you.

With love and gratitude...





3 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,

    I've been wandering around blogspot and 8 times out 10 when I fall on an English-speaking blog God or Sex is put forth in some way. Just wanted to share with someone what I've found out in my wanderings. Seems unreal to me, yet it is, indeed!

    Be Blessed with Peace
    Wakaleheza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...seems like we are volleying prayer back and forth. Ofelia and I think about and pray for you and Marc everyday, and I know you do the same for us. We love you all so much that our hearts break when we see or hear of you being discouraged. We realize there's little we can do to help, but you will always have our prayer and support. Spending time in despair is unavoidable in life, but I know for sure you won't stay there for long.

    P.S. To "Wakalaheza": All I can say is, "Huh?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Paul said it best. We are family and we will always be here for prayer and support. God is with us. A few days ago, I was a little nervous and let some fear ruin part of my day. I went and grabbed the bible and found Psalm 91. I found it of great comfort.

    14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

    I know the family is going through a lot right now. I pray that we will all receive comfort and strength from God and he will see us through. You are all always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete