Friday, April 10, 2009

The Gift of Joy

As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.

Colossians 2: 6-7

Have you ever had the pleasure of knowing someone that suffers from contagious joy? I am drawn to these types of people. I seek their company and their wisdom -- I have always yearned for what they have.

I have had the privilege to know several people throughout my life that have exuded tremendous joy. From them I have learned much. One of them was Marc's Grandma Dorothy. She was amazing. Given all the losses in her life, she was entitled to some bitterness. Her father and brother passed away when she was young. She endured the depression, helping her mother raise her younger siblings and requiring her to put her dreams on hold. She then dutifully cared for her ailing mother until she passed away. Later Grandma cared for her first husband, Dutch, while he battled against cancer. She remarried, only to have Ralph fall victim to dementia. In her last years she suffered from cancer and pulmonary disease. It doesn't seem fair. Her scales always seemed to be tipped in the favor of sorrow. How then did she manage to reach the age of 96 with a joyful and content heart?

I love this picture of Grandma. It was taken a couple of years before she passed away. She was 94 at the time and was having a swinging contest with Julia. No puny, teetering swinging for Grandma -- this was full on, big effort swinging! This is how I will always think of her -- a giant smile on her face, living her life in the moment, and doing it with those she loves.



I spent the morning yesterday with another joyful woman. I had coffee with my dear friend, Carol. Carol is another woman that seems to have suffered more than her fair share of hardship. We sat in her living room yesterday and I just soaked in her joy. We drank coffee, ate pastry, and cuddled her Lhaso Apso pup. Nothing dramatic... just chatting and enjoying the morning. I left feeling wonderful, though. She shared some wisdom and life experiences that make what we are going through pale in comparison. Carol has a beautiful hope and a faith in God that is tangible and real. She exudes joy and gratitude. Every time I am with her I am encouraged to dig a little deeper, grow a little more, and be excited and grateful for this wonderful life.


What I have learned from both of these amazing women is that faith is not a feeling or something that I just have. Faith is something I choose. Faith requires action and work. From refined faith, comes much joy. If I want more joy, I have to work on faith. I have found that to be quite true in the past few weeks. As I have trusted the Lord more and had great faith, my joy has increased.


Thank you, Carol, for the wonderful morning. You are a comfort to my soul. Thank you for your humble attitude, your love, and your ability to share your wisdom. I'm looking forward to enjoying another cup of coffee and another helping of your sweet encouragement very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment