Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Gift of Hospitality

Be hospitable to one another without grumbling. As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

1 Peter 4:9-10


My friend, Jennifer, and her sweet family


I have learned to like to entertain; however, I'm a no frills hostess at best. If you come to my home for lunch, you'll likely get a paper plate and a plastic cup. If you're lucky, I might pull out the plastic Bob the Builder plate...but that would be as fancy as I get. And, if you have been to my house more than three times, I would expect that you would open my fridge and cupboards and help yourself. I often serve buffet style, out of the pan I cook in (gasp). No serving dishes or fancy presentation here. You get the picture, right?

I never really think about how I serve or entertain. I'm utilitarian and I like efficiency...end of thought process. That is, until I met Jennifer. This sweet friend of mine has an AMAZING knack for hospitality. It is a gift. She treated me and my girls to lunch for the first time several months ago and I was struck by how beautiful everything was presented. Cake on a footed platter, fruit salad in a cut glass bowl, meats and cheese on a platter...We ate off of plates and drank from glasses made from...well... glass. No bouncing dinnerware here. I commented on how lovely everything looked and reflected back on their lunch at my home (see paragraph 1). Yikes. Jennifer, being a gracious and lovely woman, smiled and said something that stuck with me. She said something along the lines of, "I have all these things and it's no trouble using them." I think about my own cupboards and the number of cut glass bowls, serving platters in every shape and size, and the breakable dinner plates. It really isn't any trouble to use them, but for some reason I'm always saving them for a special occasion that never comes.

Jennifer always makes me and my family feel special. Every other week she takes my girls while Marc has his chemotherapy. She brings them into her home and makes them feel important and welcome. We pick the girls up and they spend the car ride home telling us about the fun they had and the special girly things they got to do. Jennifer has also spoiled us with amazing meals that she has had ready when we pick up the girls. And, wouldn't you know...they are all presented in her lovely dishes.

I think about Jennifer and I think about her Christ like mentality. She has the gift of generosity and hospitality. She is gracious and sweet. She sacrifices her Tuesdays without a hint of complaint, allowing Marc and me to be together on his treatment day. That is a true gift to us and we are so grateful.

Jennifer makes me think about God and how He is powerfully generous and gracious. God doesn't ever serve anything to us on his second best. His gifts are pure and perfect. I'm sure glad he didn't send his second-best son to cover my sin and give me eternal life. Instead, he gave us His absolute best. There is a lot to learn from God's grace and abundance. I am learning that every moment with a loved one -- be it a spouse, child, friend, or family member -- is a special occasion. Making those we care about feel loved and welcome isn't trouble. It just takes some thought and the willingness to sacrifice our best.

Thank you, Jennifer, for making me and my family always feel special and welcome. Thank you for the gift of your friendship, for listening and encouraging, for sharing transparently about your own losses. We are forever grateful for the hours you give us to be together to go to Marc's appointments and chemotherapy. It is a precious time for us.

With love and gratitude...

No comments:

Post a Comment