Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Answered Prayers

Thank you so much for praying on our behalf today. All went well and the reports remain encouraging. The doctor continues to notice a change in the tumor. He thinks it is still shrinking. He did note, however, that he does not think this tumor is rapidly growing and it isn't rapidly shrinking. He called it a "durable response." I guess slow and steady is the name of the game -- a good thing according to the doctor. I'm certain that by the time we survive this I will be able to speak Oncologogese fluently. Deciphering what is good and what is bad in the world of cancer is like playing Whose on First. Soooo confusing...

Anyhow, Marc's overall health was an encouragement to the doctor. His pain is still gone, his abdomen is softening, and his digestive system is better than it has been in months. The fact that he tolerates his treatments well is a huge advantage. Once again, we felt encouraged and blessed today.

I was able to sit the entire time today with Marc during his chemo treatment. The clinic is a busy place! You wouldn't believe the number of people that they treat in a given day -- men, women, old, and young. A couple by the name of Mae and Gordon sat by us today. Gordon is 74 and has lung cancer. While the men took their treatments I was able to visit with Mae. I told her our story and she just shook her head. She thought our situation was so tragic. Then she told me their story and I shook my head. I thought her situation was tragic, too. You see, Gordon and Mae have four children, but they are all grown. They don't visit and this couple spends their days alone. Mae is on her own, taking care of her ailing husband. The highlight of her week is when the nurse stops in on them, and that service ended this week. While Marc and I are concerned about our future, we are comforted daily by the energy and joy our children bring. We are blessed with our church body, many good friends, and loving family. While there is an element of tragedy in being young with a serious illness, I think it no less a tragedy that this aging couple is without support and much faith. If you think of this couple, please pray for them. It humbles me that God would bless us so abundantly with so much support and yet this couple is on their own.

So if you ever wonder if your phone call, email message, blog post, or conversation over coffee really helps...It does! Your faithful friendship and care is never a bother or an intrusion. We can't imagine going through this without all of you. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Praise God. I'm glad Marc is responding well! Slowly, but surely. Great news. I'll be praying for Mae and Gordon too. It's rather tragic they have to go through their situation alone. Makes one grateful for the friends and family we have.

    Love ya guys!

    ReplyDelete