Monday, August 30, 2010

Protecting Normal

I have found that the last two weeks have been the most physically and emotionally challenging.  We were told two weeks ago that Marc likely only had two weeks left to live.  Here we are two weeks later and are grateful to still have him with us.  We have braced ourselves for fourteen days, understanding that every day could be our last.  The unfortunate result of that mindset has been tremendous tension and anxiety in our home.  I have been irritable, the kids are fighting, and we are all exhausted.  By putting an expiration date on Marc, our minds became consumed with dying....not living.

Last night I sat with the boys in their room.  Bedtime is when their minds start to race and they have lots of questions and concerns.   Both boys expressed their wishes and concerns.  Things like....Dad is so thin it scares me.  I miss his voice.  I wish we could just have a man-to-man talk like we used to.  Nothing is normal.  When can we do stuff like we used to do as a family?

I sat for a little bit, listening to their hearts.  This summer has been hard on them.  We have spent countless hours at home, caring for Dad.   They have cabin fever to the extreme.  And yet, while being home all the time, very little about their time here has been very normal.  I had to admit to myself that I was feeling the same way.  I have been so consumed with Marc's care and the demands of the kids, that there has been little time to create times of normalcy in the house. 

The three of us trooped downstairs to say goodnight to Marc and to discuss some of the boys' feelings.  I was hoping they would get some of that man-to-man time they were craving.  The conversation that followed was a huge blessing.  The four of us sat and thought of ways that we could come together and just be a normal family.  We brainstormed several ways that we could catch glimpses of what we used to enjoy so much when Marc was healthy.  We know that it will never be the same, but in some odd way by listing things we can still do together we gained hope and a new perspective. 

So, first on the agenda this morning was breakfast.  Marc will often eat a simple breakfast in his room.  While we always do our best to make something he will really like, he admitted that eating by himself in his bedroom is lonely.  We decided to all wait to have breakfast until Dad could get up (late) and join together for a simple breakfast.  He was able to sit in the wheelchair and enjoy hot cereal with the kids.  Having everyone eating the same thing at the same time seemed to bring us happily together.

We came up with other ideas, too.  Having movie night together.  Instead of heading upstairs to the bonus room to watch movies on the big screen, we decided it would be fun to pile on Dad's bed and watch movies on his computer.  The boys decided that when they read a book, they can sit with Dad on the couch and read to him.  We thought it would be fun to make cookies that Marc can eat.  Instead of chocolate chips cookies with nuts, we will make a softer shortbread that he can easily chew and digest.  While each activity is a shadow of what used to be, it also protects what is normal for our family.  And, instead of focusing on what will inevitably come, we can focus on the unpredictable surprises of  lives being lived.

I am grateful today for my sons that reminded me that each day is about living.  None of us know when God will call any of us home.  By worrying about tomorrow, it has threatened to rob us of the joy of today.  Despite our circumstances right now, we are going to do our best to finish strong with our amazing Dad and husband. 

Thanks for the continued prayers....
With love and gratitude....

9 comments:

  1. Jane,

    The Holy Spirit is living purely and powerfully through you. You are a great honor to your Savior and your husband's names. I deeply appreciate you friend.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should not be surprised. I praise the Lord for my Grandchildren. When you “bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” (Eph 6:4 from New International Version) you will see your efforts. Marc and you, Snowflake will be honored for years to come. I am sure the Lord is pleased and you should know I am proud also.

    Love you all,

    Gramp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your children will remember these special times for the rest of their lives. What an special and intimate time to spend your lives living together as a family. I am praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, I agree with Alan.The Holy Spirit is living purely and powerfully through you. You are a great honor to your Savior. I too am proud to say that even though it's through marriage I am a part of your extended family. You are such a wonderful example to your children. What they are seeing in you as children, they will always remember as adults. We continue to pray for you and your family.
    ~Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's what I pray so often as I think of you Marc and Jane.
    Serenity Prayer
    God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as a pathway to peace; taking, as Jesus did , this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will; so that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with You forever in the next.

    In Jesus' Name, Amen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane,Marc & Family,
    To know the strength you guys have for each is such an inspiration to others and they to have seen the work of the holy spirit in all of you, especially thru the kids. Jane you and Marc have been a living testimony and example to your children and they to are an inspiration to others also. We also know that God will always see us thru our most troubled times. You know that a lot of us down here in Texas are praying for all of you. Let us know what else we can do if you think of something for us to do ok. GOD BLESS ALL YOU ALWAYS!

    Our love & Prayers
    always,

    Herman Ledford Family & Friends ☺♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you and pray for you daily. We pray that for all of you, this transition is aided by the hands of the Lord. You and Marc are showing your kids what true eternal love is really all about. You continue to inspire me with your strength. The strength that you clearly are receiving through the hands of the Lord.

    Much Love, Kira

    ReplyDelete
  8. God is great. And the wisdom the children have is amazing. They teach us many things we constantly forget in our "adult" lives. The things that really matter. I'm proud to be their aunt. Marc and you continue to inspire all of us. Thank you. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane, I didn't even know you had a blog like this for 2 years, until my grandmother called me last night, and suggested that I look it up and follow it. I read your whole blog this morning. It was so real, and awe inspiring. I don't even know what to say really. My heart pours out to you and Marc and the kids. I will be praying for you during these most important final days that you will be spending with Marc. God is love, and will honor you and your family for your commitment to him, that has so wonderfully been displayed in your blog. Love you!

    Dannette Cisco

    ReplyDelete