Sunday, July 25, 2010

Beautiful Day

Marc and I took the afternoon today and spent some much needed time by ourselves.  I wanted to get Marc out of the house for a change of scenery.  Both of us needed some time alone, away from the phone and kids, to just be together. 

Our first stop was the local cemetery.  Sounds morbid and somewhat disturbing, I'm sure; however, we found it to be not entirely unpleasant.  Marc wanted to check out the cemetery down the road and see if it would be suitable.  We strolled around and looked at the grounds, stopping to look at headstones and markers as we went.  There were markers for people that settled the area in the 1800's.  There were markers for folks that had recently passed away.  We teared up at the miniature headstones, marking a parent's worst nightmare.  There is something about the loss of a little one that makes our suffering right now pale in comparison.  Marc surveyed the area rather matter-of-factly, stating his preferences for location and we were finished.  As we exited the cemetery I looked back and surveyed the entire scene.  I was struck by all the numbers of folks lost over the years.  Each headstone marking a loved one lost.  Oh! we do not corner the market in sadness or suffering!

After the cemetery we headed up to Timberline Lodge.  This was Marc's request.  He wanted to see it one last time.  Timberline Lodge is a very special place to both of us.  We had our first date there,  we were engaged there, and spent the first night of our honeymoon at the lodge.  When we arrived we immediately headed for the second floor and found "our" area and settled in.  As I sat there I found myself unexpectedly overwhelmed with emotion.  So many memories and then...the realization that we would never come to this favorite place together again.  As I sat there and cried, I was struck by the sight of a wedding party staging for a ceremony on the terrace.  After a pang of envy passed, I was struck by the joy of the couple's day.  I found myself saying to Marc, "I wonder...."   I caught myself and was choked up.  First, it was because of those simple words "I wonder."  A good many of our conversations over the years have started with "I wonder."  I wonder how this color of paint would look in the living room.  I wonder if it's a boy or a girl.  I wonder how they get the pencil lead inside of a wooden pencil.  I wonder.  Marc has been my best friend for fifteen years.  I love talking to him.  I love asking him questions and discussing life's big questions and the trivial ones that satisfy big curiosity.  My heart broke in that moment.  Again.  I am really losing my best friend.  My "I wonder" statements will not have an audience very soon.  I am going to miss him.

The other reason I choked up was because of the "I wonder" statement itself.  After I cleared my throat I tried again.  "I wonder if she is as happy as I was 13 years ago." 
"I know he's not." said Marc.  "He could never come close to how happy I was that day."
I sat and watched the bride exit onto the terrace and join her groom.  I laughed as a motley crew of individuals gathered at the window to watch the ceremony.  Nobody can pass up the chance to see a new family created!  It was fun to watch.

I sat on that familiar couch and thought back onto our wedding day 13 years ago.  It really was the happiest day of my life.  Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have changed a thing.  I wouldn't trade one minute with this great man.  Our wedding day wasn't dramatic or expensive.   The ceremony and reception were simple.  Our family and friends were all present.  The memories came flooding back.  It was a beautiful day.  One I will never forget.

After I had soaked the three pathetic Kleenex I had found at the very bottom of my purse, I was done crying.  We moved upstairs to the Ramshead Pub and got a drink to share.  It felt like old times as we settled into deep conversation.  We discussed so many things:  When the oil needs changing on the car, when to get a new battery for the truck, who should get what possessions, how completely amazing our children are, places I should take the kids for a trip, how to back up the computer, and on, and on.  We covered details and concerns.  I asked questions.  He answered.  He taught me about the responsibilities that he needed to turn over.  Anyone eavesdropping on the conversation would have thought he was preparing for an extended vacation and was taking care of the last minute details.  And really...he is.

Last was a slow walk around the lodge grounds.  The weather was warm and breezy.  We sat in awe of the mountain and then turned and were in awe of the valley and the view.  Standing there, taking in God's creation, was so amazing and encouraging.  Our hearts, while sad, were also at peace.  We headed down the mountain while the sun was setting.  Gorgeous!  It was a beautiful day.  One I will never forget.

13 comments:

  1. Jane - I'm so glad you had this day together to talk, to cherish and to remember. I know how special Timberline is to the two of you. Thinking of you all - and sending my love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc and Jane, Thank you for sharing your beautiful day with us. I am so glad God blessed you with that day; I pray He will continue to uplift and sustain you both as you treasure the memory of it. May His peace continue to wash over you today, meeting you at this very moment, blessing you with a fresh touch of His presence. With love and much prayer, Tonya, for the Walmer Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you two were able to get a way and share a beautiful day. One that you both will cherish. How proud you must be of Marc, Jane. And how proud he must be of you. 13 years of true love. A love that has grown, conquered obstacles and given you 4 beautiful children.

    I admit that as I read this, I cried. My heart breaks with you, with Marc. It is so bittersweet. But although I am sad, I am awe struck to see the courage and strength you and Marc have. Facing things head on; Together. Anyone that reads this blog or knows the situation cannot turn a blind eye to the glory of God. At times I ask, how do they handle this. And very quickly I remind myself that its simple: God. And then it hits me. If I see this, so many others do too. Your testimony has served to reach and make an impact on so many lives. Some believers and maybe some that aren't. There is a peace that settles in when thinking of that. At least for me. And again, I know that God is there, reaching out to all.

    I love you both.

    Your Sis :)

    John 14:27
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this intimate look into the journey you both are on. I know it will help someone else walking the same road. I have so appreciated your transparency and realness- is that even a word? This verse came to mind in case it is a help to you both.
    Isaiah 41:13" For I, the Lord your God, have taken your right hand in mine, saying to you, Have no fear; I will be your helper."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jane and Marc for loving and living so well. My closest and fondest memories of you Marc are also on that Mountain, from our first "overnighter" and then our entire 4 day trip around the timberline trail. You "led" Josh and I so compentently and now are leading out in that final journey equally well. I love you my Friend,
    John M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marc and Jane,
    Thank you for sharing your journey. We are with you in spirit. You both are an inspiration to the rest of us trying to walk the Christian life. May God grant you His peace as you walk this path He has set before you. We will continue to lift you up in prayer.

    Steve and Michelle Ziegler (GSCC)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, I just read your story of your journey you are taking in life right now. You and you family are amazing and through your story I can see you love our Father and I will be lifting you and your family up in prayers. Our God is awesome and pray He Blesses you all at this time of the journey.
    Corinne Milano

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane and Marc, Wow I remember that day. Up early doing hair and excited for you. also knowing my wedding was near. watching your day unfold and the love of friends, family and church friends was awesome. You both have been blessed with eachother , support and the true miracle is loving the Lord. each year has it challenges.. kids...paint colors.. broken down fences..not enough date nights.. you get the idea. god knew you both before you were even born. He has been there and is in tomorrow. I am praying for the miracles that God is big and he knows the best for you all. We are praying for you all that your walk leads others to him, strenghtens peoples walk and moves people to goodness. watching your family and the love you all give to others is heart warming. I have recieved it and I am glad so many are there for you all. God Bless you and give you great days to cheerish forever!!!! God Bless Janine Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane,
    Hurting for you, praying for you and awed by your faith and courage.

    Love you all,

    Brenda & Eric

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your special day together was so beautiful and insightful. I tried to read your blog out loud to Steve...but caught your emotion. I like the extended vacation outlook, but can't imagine all the details you will be dealing with. You have been richly blessed with the love of each other and family and friends. May God continue to give you peace as you walk with him. You guys are truly an inspiration to us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane,
    This is Claire, I was in your small group bible study in 2008/2009. Just want you to know that I recently discovered your blog and have been really inspired by it..... You and Marc are in my prayers and I know you are touching and changing lives through your difficult journey. The most profound lesson I have learned from both of you is your steadfast faith in God. No matter what happens you are showing all the people around you and those reading your experiences, that God will love you and take care of you along the way!
    May the Lord uplift you with His Peace and Love and give you, Marc and your four kiddos special days to cherish in the days to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jane, You don't know me but I know Marc. It has been 30 years since I have seen him but I remember him like it was yesterday. See I grew up with Marc and Michelle. MY mom and dad were very good friends with Carol. My name is Blake and I just wanted you to know I have been praying for you and your family and I am deeply saddened by this situation life has presented. God is great and we do not understand everything but faith tells us ALL will be okay and our worries are pointless because he will handle EVERYTHING!!! He is the Almighty and all things are under him. I pray God bless you and your family with love and peace. Please tell Marc hi for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Jane for allowing me to see into your heart. Your faith in God during this difficult time is inspiring. You are all in our thoughts and prayers. Becky, Ben, Gosha & Misha Morrell

    ReplyDelete