Monday, June 21, 2010

My Dad: A Glimpse of a Bigger Father

And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”


Joshua 24:15

 



Dear Dad,

There are so many things I could write about you.  I could write about your character.  I could tell stories and pass along wisdom you have shared over the years.   As I have sat down to write over the past weeks, I always find myself wanting to express one thing:   Thanks.   So, that's what I'm going to do.  And, in expressing my thanks I think that folks will get a pretty good idea of how blessed I am to be your daughter. 

Thank you for providing for your family.  You have worked long and hard for many years.  As a kid I watched you sacrifice so much to give us a home and all of our basic needs.  You buckled down during hard times and always did what you had to do.  You took jobs you didn't like, you traveled far and wide, you took wise risks and started your own businesses.  Hard work was never beneath you and you seemed pleased to be able to give your kids what they needed and allowed Mom to stay home with us.  Thank you for being responsible and teaching us the value of honest hard work. 

Thank you for encouraging me in my interests and allowing me the freedom to be the the unconventional girl I was.  You taught me how to bait  my fishing line, where the best fishing spots were, how to saddle my horse, load a gun and sight a rifle.   You were proud when I pulled off the fifty yard shot and hit my target!  You taught me how to use tools, change the oil in my car, and how to hunt.   Though I was the typical tom-boy, you also encouraged my feminine side.  As long as I can remember, despite being an awkward freckle faced girl, you have told me that I was beautiful. I always knew I was special in your eyes.  You have always spoiled Mom and me, treating us like your special ladies.  I can't count the times you gave us special gifts or saved up to take us to a fancy restaurant. I always felt like your princess.  Mom was always the queen, though -- I always knew my place.  Nobody came before your wife.  Watching how you treated Mom allowed me to see what I wanted in my own husband. 

Thank you for the countless hours you allowed me to follow you around.  I loved sitting in your shop, my head swimming in a welding helmet, watching you work on a project.  I loved just hanging out with you.  We could have fun going to the dump, the hardware or feed store, or fishing out on the river.  My favorite memories are blazing around town in that big ugly van, listening to the Statler Brothers or Paul Harvey.  We never talked too much.  You taught me the value of being able to just enjoy a person's company without having to fill the silence with empty words.  I learned that sometimes quantity time is better than quality time.  I was blessed by the amount of of time you allowed me to be with you.

You made a lot of things special in my life, Dad.  You were the one that could always make me smile when nobody else could.  You love to give, laugh, and celebrate.   You love to serve and encourage others.  Those of us in your family and those that are your friends can attest to that.  You are a loyal and generous person.  I have watched over the years as you have given your time and money when both were in short supply. You did it quietly, anonymously, and with great joy.  What a legacy!

I think the thing that I want to thank you for the most is your faith, Dad.  You have lived it on a daily basis.  You yourself have always been the one that has pointed out our blessings in the bleakest of times.  You give thanks for God's provision and protection in our lives constantly.  You remind me even now that God has never forsaken us.  He has always been good to our family.  You have never wavered in your steadfast faith.  You have led your family beautifully over the years.  I can only imagine how hard that must have been at times as we all looked to you for the answers.  The burden never seemed to bother you.  In fact, you seemed honored and proud to serve all of us.  Thank you.

Dad, it has been in you that I get a taste of what my heavenly father must be like.  All that you have given me has directed my attention to the Lord.  The sacrifice, protection, and provision you have so freely given has been a beautiful reflection of God's perfect love for me.  I give thanks today to Him for giving me you.  I couldn't have asked for a better father. 

I love you, Daddykins.  Happy Father's Day! 
SF

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Snowflake! What can I say other than I continue to be blessed in so, so many ways. I owe it all to the Lord. As you know, I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute to your dad! You need to be a writer, you know! God blessed you with a wonderful dad and husband for sure! Sounds like you had a neat trip visiting new family members...that one picture of Marc with his two sisters sure looked like the twins! Hope he is regaining some weight and strength!

    ReplyDelete