Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Eleventh Hour

Hear, O LORD, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
Guard my life, for I am devoted to you.
You are my God; save your servant
who trusts in you.


Have mercy on me, O Lord,
for I call to you all day long.


Bring joy to your servant,
for to you, O Lord,
I lift up my soul.


You are forgiving and good, O Lord,
abounding in love to all who call to you.

Hear my prayer, O LORD;
listen to my cry for mercy.


In the day of my trouble I will call to you,
for you will answer me.


Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord;
no deeds can compare with yours.

All the nations you have made
will come and worship before you, O Lord;
they will bring glory to your name.


For you are great and do marvelous deeds;
you alone are God.


Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.


I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify your name forever.


For great is your love toward me;
you have delivered me from the depths of the grave.


Psalm 86: 1-13

Marc made the decision today to not take any additional chemotherapy treatments.  His care will be entirely palliative from this point forward.  After discussing the benefits of the chemo regimen with the doctor he decided it just isn't worth it.  At most the chemotherapy would shrink the tumor slightly, allowing him to eat and ease his pain; however, his body would likely only be able to tolerate six to eight treatments.  His body is not strong enough and his bone marrow would not be able to handle the toxicity for any longer than that.  After three or four months he would have to quit this line of treatment and the tumor would likely grow again and we would be right back where we are right now.  While three or four months in our world is substantial, the quality of life during that time would not be good.  For as sick as he is now, it would be worse with the side effects of the chemo:  Neuropathy, nausea, bone pain, cold sensitivity, cramping, and fatigue.  When he weighed all the information, he decided it's just not worth it. 

While we are abandoning chemotherapy, we are not abandoning our hope.  We know that God is still God.  He is able to heal Marc with or without chemotherapy.  He may choose to heal him in what we feel is now the eleventh hour.  Or, He may call Marc home.  Oddly enough, both of those scenarios scare us.  The idea of his healing and of his passing are overwhelming in their own ways.  Fortunately, we both feel at peace with the decision and will simply wait on the Lord to discover His will.

I just want to say that I stand by my husband on this.  While I would love to push him to continue his fight, I acknowledge that he knows what he can handle and what he cannot.  I am so proud of him.  He has fought this battle with tremendous strength of character and grace for over 16 months.  He inspires me daily and it continues to be a privilege to walk alongside him through all of this.

Our family would be grateful for your continued prayers.  Please pray for Marc.  Don't give up on praying for his healing!  Pray also that his symptoms can be alleviated -- he has a great deal of pain and has constant nausea.  Pray for our kids as they continue to process all of this.  They are struggling right now, but have (like their dad) shown amazing strength and grace over the last year.  I am so proud of them and inspired by their beautiful faith.  I also ask for prayer for myself.  I need strength to be there for Marc and for the kids.  I don't want to let any of them down. 

Thank you for your continued prayers and support.  We feel so loved by all of you that are lifting us up.  We are blessed.

With love and gratitude...

9 comments:

  1. Dear Jane and Marc,
    I am praying for all that you have asked for. And, Jane, I am praying for YOU that you have the strength you need to care for them, but also to care for yourself. You have let no one down and you will let no one down--your heart and your faith are huge and you have done incredible work throughout all of this. Peace and strength to you all!

    --Liz Nelson (and KW, who I spoke to 5 minutes ago)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the ones blessed to know and have you in our lives. Always in my prayers. Love you all so very much.....

    Ofelia


    Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
    Deuteronomy 31:6



    So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
    Isaiah 41:10

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only met you once I think but I stay appraised by Melanie, I am her neighbor. I stand shoulder to shoulder with you in pray for you, Mark and the kids. May you know and feel God's presence and grace at all times.

    In His strength,

    Stephanie Perkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane,

    It's been awhile since I've run into you! I wanted you to know I think of you often and I am praying for you and your sweet family.

    Heidi Boos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying. I posted a link to your update on Facebook as many were praying for Marc and you today. Thank you for sharing that Scripture that meant even more hearing it from you God is faithful even in the Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane--I'm praying for all you have asked for and hope that you know that you have not let Marc or your kids down and are not going to--you have given great amounts of love, energy and faith to this horrid situation. So, I pray for strength for you and for the wisdom to care for yourself in the midst of all this.
    Peace,
    Liz Nelson in St. Louis

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all have been such a model of strength and faith in the face of this devistating trial. I love you guys, and will be praying for you as you go through this tough time. Thankful that either way...this is not the end of the story. You have given new meaning to Psalm 86. Thanks for keeping us posted. Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane~
    You are such an amazing woman of strength and dignity. I want you to know that I am praying fervently for you, Marc, and the kids. I am asking the Lord for complete and miraculous healing. Hang in there kiddo.
    Heather Wendler

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danette Schneider is a cancer surviver with brain cancer. her family is hosting a group on thursday night for people who want support and to hear Gods encourgement. They want to use their trials to glorify God and what god has shown them this year. They wanted to get the word out so others would come to their home. I can get you in touch with them if you and Mark would want to come. Other cancer patients building others up others for Gods glory.We are praying for you guys. Janine Wilson

    ReplyDelete