Sunday, March 28, 2010

God at Work

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Ephesians 3: 14-21

A couple of weeks ago I took a walk around our property to survey what projects needed to be done.  Spring break was a week away and I wanted to get some things done while the kids were home to help.  As I walked our property line I became disheartened.  Brush and tree debris from the last two winters was piled knee high.  Marc had pruned some of the trees over the summer, but had run out of steam before they could all be cleaned up.  Our barn was a mess, as it usually is at the end of winter.  A million other projects piled up in my head mentally.  I was overwhelmed.  It would take our whole family an entire summer to clean up the mess.  How had we lost control in so little time?  Like the stubborn gal I am,  I took a deep breath, gritted my teeth, and surrendered every minute of our spare time to the heap of work surrounding me.  We would just have to muddle through it.

As the next couple of days wore on I had time to think.  I came to the conclusion that just maybe we needed help.  I sent an email to some of our friends -- the folks that have mentioned that if we "ever need anything, please ask."  Again, being stubborn (and...uh...prideful), it was an excruciating task to send out that email.  Within an hour several friends had responded.  I was relieved.  Marc still wasn't sure. 

As the week wore on The Work Party (as it has come to be known) took on a life of its own.  By the time all was said and done we had over 50 people show up, two tractors, countless chainsaws and trimmers, rakes, and wheelbarrows.  Guys from church even showed up from the parking lot crew to direct the 33 cars and park them so they wouldn't bother our neighbors!  Wild.  Everyone worked incredibly hard with amazing hearts.  There were lots of laughs, lots of hugs, and new friends made.   My folks and my brothers provided an amazing lunch.  We didn't quite finish the 76 doughnuts, the 200 pieces of chicken, gallons of salad, and hundreds of cookies.  Nobody went hungry!

I want to extend a huge thank you to everyone that showed up and made the day possible.  I have had time to think over this whole uncomfortable experience.  Why is it so hard to accept help?  I remember when Marc was first diagnosed.  I prayed not just for Marc, but I prayed that God would simply help us.  I didn't know how we were going to manage all of this.  In those first few weeks folks brought meals, sent notes, and helped with our kids.  Yesterday 50 friends, family, and complete strangers, showed up to help us with what amounted to about 150 man hours or more on our property.  I remembered my prayer.  God...help us.  So, as each person has pitched in, we have seen God at work.  I know we can't see God face to face, but He is very much here.  He answers prayers.  His body is amazing.  He shows up on the front step with a casserole.  He volunteers to watch the kids so I can go with Marc to his appointments.  He offers words of encouragement.  He sends an army to help with yardwork and repairs.  He is here and at work.  He is able to do immeasurably more than we can ask.  I've seen it. 

So...Here are pictures of answered prayers.  If you haven't seen Christ at work before, look carefully.  He is in every picture.  Enjoy.

When God is at work....He can use....

Little Workers

And little brothers.

Big Workers

With Big Chainsaws!

He uses pyromaniacs (Hi Dad!)

He uses friends.....

that bless us with their smiles!


He uses sweet young ladies....

And entertaining old ladies, too
(Sorry, Kris....the kids insisted!)

He takes large tractors....

And wee little tractors!

 
He can take an enormous mess...

that is too big for one person....


and with the help of those that love us...

can move mountains!

He can take a new friend...

with an old friend...
 And bless us abundantly!



 
He then blesses us with food,

and fellowship...

                                                                    and a time of rest.



When God is at work, He can bring any obstacle
right down to size!

Thank you all for blessing us "exceedingly abundantly!"
With love and gratitude.....

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome. We had a fun time with you and the rest of the crew on Saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I would have known...I would have been there in a heartbeat!
    These pics brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was happy to have my husband represent us and he was so thrilled with the way God uses people to Bless other people. We love you and pray for our sweet family we have known before the marriage. Our love, Mel and Max

    ReplyDelete