Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Fine Day

I sat and watched Julia ride this evening. I was getting a good laugh out of watching her try to navigate Marc's old mare through the obstacle course of trees and brush in our pasture. When Truffles wasn't trying to rub her off, she was on the verge of dislocating Julia's shoulder as she jerked her head (and subsequently the reins) to the ground as she snagged green grass. No real complaints from her rider, though -- it was mostly smiles mixed only with the occasional growl of frustration when her mount wouldn't cooperate. I was pleased with Julia's determination. I always marvel when fifty pounds of little girl that can't even reach the stirrups, manages to convince a half ton animal to submit.


Today marked another day in a week of calm, fun, and relaxing days. Just like Julia is finding ways to make her monster horse cooperate, we are finding ways to find joy in the midst of illness and uncertainty. Sitting there in the grass, watching my girl share something I love, was delightful. While she plugged along I reflected on a wonderful day and gave thanks with all that was in me.


The day was nothing dramatic, just pleasant: Enjoying coffee with Marc this morning without the interruption of the kids, picking berries and vegetables in the morning with the kids, sipping iced tea on the front porch with a dear friend, an afternoon nap, a simple dinner, and horseback rides for the kids this evening. Tidbits of normal summer life that seem so much sweeter in this season of life.


I am grateful for this calm in our proverbial storm. We appreciate so much all the prayers, support, and concern, that you have all given us. It's comforting to know that I can put out prayer requests and worries in this place and know that so many of you are reading them and standing firm with us. Today, though, I'm happy to report that we are doing fine. We hope you will join us in giving thanks for this fine day.


With love and gratitude....

2 comments:

  1. I just love it~ I'm thankful for you for your break in the storm
    Love you
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise to the Lord that he has given you a day like that. Read Psalm 117:2
    Our family is still with you in the "praying trenches" Keep your chin up little soldier. :-)

    ReplyDelete