Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chemo Vacation

If you know me at all, you know I like to cook.  My favorite is baking, though.  I love making desserts, especially pastry.   I come from a long line of bakers -- my grandmother, my mom, and the ultimate baking rock-star...Aunt Jeanette.  While I have yet to reach Jeanette caliber, I am usually pretty pleased with my results. 

One of the things I think I have finally mastered is pie.  Marc and the kids love it as much as I do.  While we have been on our chemo vacation, though, Marc has decided to try a really strict nutritional therapy.  Chemo hasn't solved our problem, so we are exploring alternative cures.  There are many things he now cannot eat, one of which is gluten.   Food is the love language of our family. So, of course, when I make dessert I don't want to exclude Marc.  Ever tried making pie crust, much less any other baked good, without gluten?  My friend, Elo, warned me that often times the result is a crumbly mess.  That was an understatement.  Today as I tried to "roll" out my gluten free sorghum pie crust, I found that it was akin to trying to roll out sand (and, yes, I used the xantham gum).  I was determined, though, and managed to fashion something that vaguely resembled a pie crust. 

After baking, I removed the masterpiece from the oven.  My results are pictured below.  I am embarrassed.   Technically it is pie.  There are two crusts, between which are a bunch of blackberries.  I think this a huge waste of good Oregon blackberries....What do you think?  Marc and I both sampled the creation.  Imagine blackberry filling, sandwiched between what tastes like bland Wheat Thins.  Yum.


My Ugly Crumbly Mess


The usual yummy-white flour,-hydrogenated oil- sugar sprinkled version. 

Again, if you know me at all, you also know I can be quite stubborn (I prefer the word determined).  I am now on a mission to create a pastry that my husband can eat that tastes good and looks edible.  Normally I would experiment until I found the perfect combination; however, I'm maturing a bit.  I'm a bit limited on time and energy these days.   Going to ask for help here.  Does anybody out there have the secret to gluten free pastry and other baked goods?  If you have any recipes for the following and you wouldn't mind sharing, please let me know.
  • Pie crust
  • Pizza dough
  • Sandwich Bread
  • Cakes, muffins, scones
I know Bob's Red Mill has a ton of recipes and they are local to us.  The problem is there is almost too many recipes to choose from.  Each one calls for different ingredients.  Which recipes are the best?  Do you have any favorites that you would recommend?  I look forward to hearing your comments!

With love and gratitude......

4 comments:

  1. Jane, Until people start sending you receipes, there might be an answer to the bread anyway across the street from Bob's Red Mill. at Nature Bake.... Killer Dave's Bread. I think I saw a glueten free bread there.
    Hugs to you,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the GF Chocolate cake mix at Bob's red mill is excellent. I buy it in the bulk section for my friend's little boy who couldn't do wheat. Also, I need to check with my hubby- he is the baker around here- but he used to have a gluten free bread mix that my friend with Celiac disease said was the best Gluten free bread she had ever eaten. He made it in a bread machine dough only but bakes it in the oven

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, I have a friend who's gluten-freem and her husband writes a good cooking blog on Blogspot. It's called: Fire and salt: a Firefighter's gluten-free cooking journey. Let me know if you need more help finding it. He focuses a lot on pastry and dessert! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob's actually has a gluten free pizza crust mix! They have a really good G.F. brownie mix as well. I can grab some things for you if you would like me to. I go there about every two weeks!
    Heather Wendler

    ReplyDelete